We are failing our youth and our current system is not meeting their needs
- In Ontario alone there are over 12,000 youth on the waitlist for such services and the wait-time is up to 18 to 24 months, which for some is sadly a death sentence.
- Suicide and accidents are the two leading cause of death for youth aged 15 to 19 in Canada, and substance abuse is strongly correlated with both.
- People ages 15 to 24 are more likely to experience mental illness and/or Substance Use Disorders than any other age group.
- More than 55% of adolescents diagnosed with a mental illness also suffer from a Substance Use Disorder.
- Emergency Department visits and in-patient hospitalizations of youth have increased by 50% in less than 10 years.
- Only 35% of adolescents in need of concurrent “best practice” treatment receive evidence-based interventions that address both the SUD and mental illness at the same time.
- 75% of youth with mental illness are not receiving specialized treatment.