The New Start program will draw on the expertise of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry division at Sunnybrook and will treat 525 youth each year across an intensive continuum of care ranging from acute inpatient, residential treatment, day hospital and intensive outpatient services.
The New Start Program will focus on youth with the most complex mental health illnesses both with and without concurrent addiction problems.
New Start will be the FIRST treatment program in Canada that:
- Offers intensive concurrent treatment for youth with mental illness and addictions that includes a strong component of family therapy.
- Ensures that all clinical care is evidence-based and leverages an inter-professional team of adolescent psychiatrists, pediatricians, psychologists, social workers, nurses, child and youth workers, recreational therapists and other specialists.
- Consistently uses a proven standardized patient assessment tool to prioritize and treats those most at-risk and matches all youth with the appropriate level of treatment.
- Serves as a “hub-and-spoke model,” building access across Ontario by transitioning youth back to clinical teams in their home communities.
- New Start will ensure on-going follow-up care through in-person or through a digital platform that focuses on relapse prevention and keeping youth well.
Through a partnership with the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Toronto, New Start will become a renowned centre of excellence for medical education and inter-professional training that will not only set a new and better standard of care but also improve access and build clinical capacity across Ontario for youth struggling with mental illness and addiction.